Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Take up residence at Downton Abbey!

Spent New Year's getting addicted to the absolutely splendid UK series, Downton Abbey. I must admit to being off the PBS rotation for a while (since last winter's Sherlock), so I missed Downton in its original airing. But Downton Abbey has continued to be one of those shows you keep hearing mentioned, and ever since their six Emmy win (including best miniseries), there's a feeling of missing the boat. Now I know why.

Downton Abbey is just superb on all counts. The creation of writer Julian Fellowes (Gosford Park), Downton Abbey may evoke some heavy sighing by some, quick to dismiss it as another Upstairs, Downstairs. Filmed at Highclere Castle in Berkshire, Downton Abbey is a ferociously addictive saga that follows 16 characters - the titled family living on the estate and their service staff - through the early years of the 20th Century and their many anxieties, longings, schemes and hopes.

This is a wonderful drama on all counts. I am reluctant to give away much of any detail, as part of the delight of this treasure of a show lies in discovering who everyone is. But I will admit to being completely in awe of Jim Carter as Carson, the butler - of Brendan Coyle as Bates, the mysterious valet. These are characters who are firmly part of an everlasting pantheon now. I find myself all caught up in the trials and tribulations of Lady Mary and her sisters to a beyond-Kardashian degree. I love the machinations of O'Brien and Thomas, and I can't get enough of Maggie Smith as "The Dowager Countess." I'll just say that if you've been lamenting the quality of broadcast television, and have any fondness at all for period pieces such as Remains of the Day  and A Room with a View, you are in criminal peril the longer you miss out on this superb show.

Season 1 is available on disc and the 2nd season premieres on PBS on January 8th, this coming Sunday night! Downton Abbey is a triumph!

No comments:

Post a Comment