Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Celebrities, start your engines...










Well, I was watching live at 5:40-ish this morning when the announcements aired, how about you?!

Some surprises to be sure, but nothing earth-shattering. My eyes rolled up into my skull when The Blind Side was announced as a Best Picture nominee. Not sure why I have such an aversion to this flick, not having seen it. I have to admit I was sad to see a field of 10 nominees and no Star Trek. Where is the love?!

But good to see District 9 get in there as well as the Coen's A Serious Man (on video next week!). I think one of the nicest surprises was Jeremy Renner for Hurt Locker as he carries that picture. His performance has not received the attention it deserves, so his nomination here was really nice.

Speaking of underdogs, one of the most important categories that never gets the props it ought to is cinematography. That is the craft of the motion picture and that they read the screenplay nominees and not cinematographer every year is always a sore spot. So I was thrilled to see Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince score a nomination here, joining Avatar, The Hurt Locker, Inglourious Basterds and The White Ribbon as the most visually cinematic films of the year.

Maggie Gyllenhaal's nomination seems like it's a popularity nod, but a sure sign of Crazy Heart's traction increasing to the point that Jeff Bridges is pretty much a lock. So Bridges, Bullock, Mo'Nique and Waltz. Pretty much all predetermined at this point. I don't see any races there, unfortunately. Though I would love to see Bullock lose to Meryl.

Penelope Cruz?!? Puh-leeeeeeeeeeeease...At least Nine didn't get a BP nod. Total door-slam on Daniel Day Lewis for that movie.









The big race is the "battle of the exes" between Cameron and Bigelow. If there was ever a year we could see a split for director/picture, this is it! Too early to say how this is going to end up yet as a lot can happen this far out and Cameron still has to launch his "I'm an okay guy!" campaign. But my gut says this is all Bigelow for the director slot, Avatar for picture. That way everybody gets something (just like any other divorced couple)...but we'll have to wait and see.

Oh yeah, and something called Lost (?) returns for its sixth season tonight...? Brew a pot of coffee, whatever you have to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment