Thursday, May 26, 2011

Fasten your seatbelt, dad...





When I was 10 years old, my dad took me to the movie theater to see Le Mans, starring Steve McQueen. I remember the in-your-face shots with the camera fastened to the front of the car, flying down the road. It felt like we were right there in the middle of the race. Le Mans is the famous French endurance race lasting 24 hours. McQueen is coming back to the race after being involved in an accident that took the life of a fellow driver the year before. Say Hello to his Gulf-Porsche 917...
It debuts on Blu-ray this week. I'm really looking forward to watching Le Mans again, dad. Thanks for taking me out for some seriously cool excitement, way back when.

You can complete your speed demon double-feature with John Frankenheimer's earlier Grand Prix, starring James Garner.

Grand Prix is packed to the gills with sixties romances and subplots, but it was released in Cinerama and has been restored from the original 65 mm Super Panavision elements which should be nothing short of eye-damagingly sharp in Hi-def. Gentlemen, do not attempt to drive after seeing these movies...!

No comments:

Post a Comment