Thursday, February 10, 2011

Winter is coming...














As someone normally loathe to discuss a book when he's in the middle of it, I find myself unable to keep my bloody yap shut any longer about A Game of Thrones. George R. R. Martin's first book in this Song of Ice and Fire series came out in 1996 and since then there have been three others, with the long anticipated fifth book still to come.
I had embarrassingly never heard of these books until word began arriving that HBO was prepping a massive adaptation for cable starring Sean Bean, Lena Headey and Peter Dinklage. It's a fantasy series like no other, aimed squarely at adults. A sprawling pseudo-medieval saga of the conspiracies between the rival Stark and Lannister clans, I'm just over 400 pages into the first book and I'm ready to call this the best fantasy series I've read in decades. If you can imagine a fusion of I, Claudius, Lord of the Rings and The Sopranos, you'll have a fair notion of what's in store.
The series debuts in April and promises to be truly epic. If the show is as addictive as the books, look out. I promise to talk more once I've actually finished the first book, but if you are in need of a satisfying, irresistible read that just hooks you deeper with each chapter, you are doing yourself an enormous disservice if you don't grab this book today and get started!!!


















No comments:

Post a Comment