Thursday, February 13, 2014

Unhappily Ever "After"

I'm issuing this warning in an effort to save an hour of your life. The other day I posted about Chris Carter's new series pilot The After, produced through Amazon Studios. I was a major fan of The X-Files, so curiosity compelled me to check it out. Oh.My.GOD. How the mighty have fallen. This is one of the worst, most incompetent, execrable hours of TV I have ever witnessed. Sorry, Chris, but in this age of Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, you can't show up for batting practice in this kind of shape. I was just stunned at the ineptitude on display. It's like a dumbed-down version of Heroes with excess profanity. The simply appalling, cliched writing - the wincingly bad, painful acting - the ham-fisted cobbling of slipshod plot devices. NBC's Revolution is like Touch of Evil by comparison. There's a plot reveal that feels very reminiscent of the one in Identity, plus an image that's straight out of The Exorcist - actually two Exorcist "nods" combined. If the idea of an entire series following a ditzy version of the Geneviève Bujold character from Earthquake sounds good to you, lumped together with a cringe-inducing band of Irwin Allen stereotypes, then, wow - is The After ever the show for you. Chris Carter, I will always love you - but you should be doing much, much better than this. Recommend you avoid this like the plague.


No comments:

Post a Comment